The planks are now complete and are stored on a shelf while they slowly cure in the cold weather. I’ll be leaving them for several weeks until the backbone and the frames are complete.
I’ve borrowed a planer/thicknesser from P, a member of the MTSA; I tried it out at his house, but it needed sharpening! I did that today and finished planing and thicknessing of the timber laminates for the tiller, outer stem and the gaff jaws. That’s all the timber laminates cut, all I need now is some warmth to glue them and a jig!
I laid out all the pieces for the backbone, I think that there are 14 pieces. It’s too cold to do large areas of epoxy work so it will wait for warmer weather. There was an issue with location holes, either missing or in the wrong place, but it was easily solved. I’m going to buy some bolts and drill through the laid up backbone and the ply table and fix the bolts up through the table. I will use the bolts with large ply washers covered in plastic to act as clamps.
The ash plank for the oars was too big to put through the table saw, so I used the circular saw to cut them to approx size and the planer to get straight edges.
The rudder has been glued in two parts, but after 48 hours the epoxy had partly set but not cured. It’s now at home getting warm to cure properly and will be worked on at home. I brought the laminate timber home for the tiller and will glue them onto a jig in the warm over the next few days.
I’ve slowed down ‘cos the temperature is too cold and until the backbone is complete everything else will have to wait. This is all becasue we did not expect to sell our Sadler 34 so quickly and start this work in Dec!